LAC Atlas

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size

Lago Chapala, Mexico

→ View Large Image · Ver Imagen Ampliada
→ View Large Image · Ver Imagen Ampliada

Lake Chapala, the largest in Mexico, is a natural reservoir measuring 114 569 ha, fed by the Lerma River. It is situated between the states of Jalisco, which includes 86 per cent of the lake’s area, and Michoacan, which contains the remaining 14 per cent. The Lerma-Chapala watershed supplies the water needs of some 15 million people (UNEP and SEMARNAT 2004). Industries located in the area account for 33 per cent of the country’s Gross Domestic Product. More than 3 500 industrial plants around the lake discharge their wastes into it without adequate treatment, creating heavy metal contamination and loading lakewater and sediments with other toxins (UNEP and SEMARNAT 2004). Eighty-one per cent of water from the drainage basin is used for agriculture, the area of which has quintupled in the last 50 years. In the 1970s, the volume of the lake reached 8 100 million m3 (maximum capacity), while in the year 2000 it reached just 28 per cent of its maximum, one of the lowest levels in its history, and presently is at 66 per cent of capacity. In the 2008 satellite image the lake level is noticeably lower than in the 1973 image, particularly visible in the greater extension of the peninsula on the lake’s western side. The increased presence of sediments in the water is also visible, as is the expansion of the city of Guadalajara, (the area in grey in the upper right of the 2008 image).

El lago Chapala, el más grande de México, actualmente es un embalse natural de 114 659 ha, situado entre los estados de Jalisco (86 por ciento) y de Michoacán (14 por ciento) y alimentado por el río Lerma. La cuenca Lerma-Chapala es la fuente de abastecimiento de alrededor de 15 millones de personas (PNUMAy SEMARNAT 2004). La industria asentada en esta área contribuye con el 33 por ciento del Producto Interno Bruto. Más de 3 500 industrias alrededor del lago descargan sus desechos al mismo sin el debido tratamiento, generando contaminación por metales pesados y sustancias tóxicas (PNUMA y SEMARNAT 2004). El 81 por ciento del agua de la cuenca se utiliza para la agricultura, superficie que se ha quintuplicado en los últimos 50 años. En los años 70, el volumen del lago ascendía a los 8 100 millones de m3 (capacidad máxima), mientras que para el año 2000 se registró un volumen de 28 por ciento de la capacidad máxima, uno de los más bajos en su historia, y actualmente se encuentra al 66 por ciento de su capacidad. En la imagen de 2008 se aprecia un nivel del lago más bajo que en 1973, evidente en una mayor extensión de la península en la parte oriental. La presencia de sedimentos en las aguas es también más notable, así como la expansión de la ciudad de Guadalajara (coloración gris en la parte superior derecha de la imagen de 2008).